Apply Online Podcast

This content is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:



DN Employers

How do apprenticeships benefit employers?


Demand for digital skills is high. In 2018, Deloitte found that only 16% of executives believe their talent pool has enough knowledge and expertise to deliver their digital strategy. Traditional HE programmes are not delivering the skills that are most in demand, so companies are broadening the areas from which they recruit.

This is where apprenticeships come in. 86% of employers said apprenticeships developed skills relevant to their organisation and 78% reported improved productivity. Moreover, you can adapt the training your apprentice receives according to the needs of your organisation, focusing on the areas where your digital skills need a boost.

Get In Touch.

Our Pathways.

What is an apprenticeship?


Apprenticeships can feel like a new phenomenon, but they actually date back to the Middle Ages. Young people would work for a skilled craftsperson in exchange for tuition in their chosen trade, plus food and lodgings.

More recently, in 1994, the government launched Modern Apprenticeships (MAs) to boost work-based training in England and Wales. By 1998, almost 250,000 people had started an apprenticeship.

In 2012, the Government commissioned the Richard Review, which recommended that apprenticeships were more employer-orientated. This led to the Trailblazer apprenticeship standards we know today being introduced.

An apprenticeship today combines a real job with training, allowing junior talent to earn while they learn and achieve an industry-recognised qualification. Unlike in the 1300s, apprenticeships are not just open to young people. Anyone over the age of 16 who is not enrolled in full-time education can complete an apprenticeship.

Get In Touch

How do apprenticeships work?


Are you looking to hire a new team member or do you have someone in mind? If you’ve already got someone on board, you may want to skip to the next section. Otherwise, keep reading.

Step 1: We work with you to recruit an apprentice. We’ll advertise your vacancy, conduct the initial screening and telephone interviews and set work-related challenges at no extra cost, before passing promising candidates to you for interview. Candidates range from school and college leavers to graduates to those with some work experience under their belt.

Step 2: You interview a selection of candidates and make the hiring decision. The apprentice is employed by you and works within your business. They spend 20% of their time (approx. 1 day per week) on off-the-job training, working towards their qualification.

Step 3: We coach your apprentice through their exams and coursework and help them apply their new knowledge and skills in the workplace. This coaching can be delivered at one of our training venues, online or at your premises.

Step 4: As your apprentice develops their skills, they start adding huge value to your team and bring a fresh perspective to business challenges.

Step 5: Your apprentice undertakes End Point Assessment and successfully completes their apprenticeship.

How are apprenticeships funded?

If your business has an annual payroll bill of more than £3m you will already be paying the apprenticeship levy. Introduced in May 2017, the apprenticeship levy is a 0.5% payroll tax that can only be used on approved apprenticeship training. Any money not spent at the end of the year reverts to the government.

Once your levy fund has been spent, or if you have a PAYE bill of less than £3m, the government pays 95% of the apprenticeship cost and you pay the remaining 5%.

The biggest cost to hiring an apprentice is their salary. Although minimum wage for apprentices is £4.15 per hour, a higher entry-level salary is usually needed to attract the right people to your role. We’ll be able to help you define this during the recruitment process.

Do companies get paid for taking on apprentices?

Yes. The government offers a £1,000 incentive payment if your apprentice is aged 16-18 or 19-24 with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

On top of this, the government has introduced Covid response incentives, valid for starts until 31st January 2021. This entitles you to an additional £2,000 when you employ an apprentice aged 16-24 or £1,500 if the apprentice is over 25.

Get In Touch

FAQs.

Yes. When you take on an apprentice they become an employee of your company. This means they have the same employee rights as other team members. Your apprentice will be entitled to national minimum wage, including on college days.

Yes. An apprentice is an employee of your company, so should have an employment contract. In addition to this, an apprenticeship agreement must be signed by the apprentice and the employer at the start of the apprenticeship, to confirm the role the apprentice is being trained for and which apprenticeship standard it relates to.

Yes. Apprentices usually work 30-40 hours per week, including time spent at college or on off-the-job training. Part-time hours can be agreed between you and your apprentice at a minimum of 16 hours per week. This may be beneficial where apprentices have caring responsibilities. Where apprenticeships are part time, training will be completed over a longer period and completion dates recalculated.

Are you Digital Native?

Get In Touch

IT Technician L3

This content is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:



Infrastructure Technician L3

Grow your team with a driven infrastructure technician

Are you on the hunt for someone to deliver 1st or 2nd line support for your internal or external customers? Do you need additional resource to help with standard builds, setting up users, delivering infrastructure projects or staffing support desks?

By hiring an apprentice you’re shaping the next generation of digital talent to solve your specific business needs and encourage a culture of learning and development within your organisation.

Our passion is helping you nurture digital talent. We want to help junior infrastructure technicians build the careers they desire and find a sense of belonging through their apprenticeship. So however big their ambitions are, they’ll always remember where they started.

Request more information.

What will my apprentice learn?


Our industry coaches will support your apprentice in gaining industry-recognised qualifications in the following areas. More importantly, they’ll coach them on how to apply this knowledge in the workplace. A typical programme could include:

  • Networking and architecture – CompTIA A+, Microsoft MTA Network Fundamentals
  • Mobile and operating systems – Security+, MTA Mobility and Devices Fundamentals
  • Cloud services – MTA Cloud Fundamentals
  • Coding and logic – BCS Coding and Logic
  • Business processes – BCS Business Processes, ITIL Foundation Level

Get In Touch

How does it work?


Are you looking to hire a new team member or do you have someone in mind? If you’ve already got someone on board, you may want to skip to the next section. Otherwise, keep reading.

Step 1: We work with you to recruit an apprentice. We’ll advertise your vacancy, conduct the initial screening and telephone interviews and set work-related challenges at no extra cost, before passing promising candidates to you for interview. Candidates range from school and college leavers to graduates to those with some work experience under their belt.

Step 2: You interview a selection of candidates and make the hiring decision. The apprentice is employed by you and works within your business. They spend 20% of their time (approx. 1 day per week) on off-the-job training, working towards their Level 3 qualification.

Step 3: Over 18 months, we coach your apprentice through their exams and coursework and help them apply their new knowledge and skills in the workplace. This coaching can be delivered at one of our training venues, online or at your premises.

Step 4: As your apprentice develops their skills, they start adding huge value to your team and bring a fresh perspective to business challenges.

Step 5: Your apprentice undertakes End Point Assessment and successfully completes their apprenticeship.

How much does it cost?


If your business has an annual payroll bill of more than £3m you will already be paying the apprenticeship levy. This money can be used to fund apprenticeship training and any money not spent reverts to the government.

Once your levy fund has been spent, or if you have a PAYE bill of less than £3m, the government pays 95% of the apprenticeship cost and you pay the remaining 5%. For the Infrastructure Technician standard this means the maximum you will be asked to pay is £750 per apprentice towards the cost of their training.

The biggest cost to hiring an apprentice is their salary. Although minimum wage for apprentices is £4.15 per hour, we’d recommend a salary of £12,000 to £18,000 per annum for an Infrastructure Technician to attract the right people to your role.

You can also take advantage of a £1,000 incentive payment from the government if your apprentice is aged 16-18 or 19-24 with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

On top of this, the government has introduced Covid response incentives, valid for starts until 31st January 2021. This entitles you to an additional £2,000 when you employ an apprentice aged 16-24 or £1,500 if the apprentice is over 25.

Get In Touch

What employers say.

Are you Digital Native?

Get In Touch

Business Analyst L4

This content is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:



Software Technician L3

This content is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:



Data Analyst L4

Grow your team with a pioneering data analyst

Are you on the hunt for junior talent to build capacity in your data team? Our coaches will work with you to turn individuals with a passion for numbers into junior data analysts operating at every stage of the data lifecycle. We’ll help you map their journey from entry to your organisation and map your apprentice’s progression as their skills develop.

Our passion is helping you nurture tech talent. We want to help junior data analysts build the careers they desire and find a sense of belonging through their apprenticeship. However big their ambitions are, they’ll always remember where they started.

Request more information.

What will my apprentice learn?


Your apprentice will learn how to use dashboard and visualisation tools alongside programming languages for data analysis including SQL, Python and R. Our expert coaches will coach your apprentice through topics such as:

  • Data classification
  • The data lifecycle
  • Structured and unstructured data
  • Requirements for data analysts
  • Quality issues for data analysis
  • Data visualisation
  • Compliance and audit administration
  • Data structures
  • Database design, implementation and maintenance
  • Data architecture
  • Domain context for data analytics

Get In Touch

How does it work?


Are you looking to hire a new team member or do you have someone in mind? If you’ve already got someone on board, you may want to skip to the next section. Otherwise, keep reading.

Step 1: We work with you to recruit an apprentice. We’ll advertise your vacancy, conduct the initial screening and telephone interviews and set work-related challenges at no extra cost, before passing promising candidates to you for interview. Candidates range from school and college leavers to graduates to those with some work experience under their belt.

Step 2: You interview a selection of candidates and make the hiring decision. The apprentice is employed by you and works within your business. They spend 20% of their time (approx. 1 day per week) on off-the-job training, working towards their Level 4 qualification.

Step 3: Over 18 months, we coach your apprentice through their exams and coursework and help them apply their new knowledge and skills in the workplace. This coaching can be delivered at one of our training venues, online or at your premises.

Step 4: As your apprentice develops their skills, they start adding huge value to your team and bring a fresh perspective to business challenges.

Step 5: Your apprentice undertakes End Point Assessment and successfully completes their apprenticeship.

How much does it cost?


If your business has an annual payroll bill of more than £3m you will already be paying the apprenticeship levy. This money can be used to fund apprenticeship training and any money not spent reverts to the government.

Once your levy fund has been spent, or if you have a PAYE bill of less than £3m, the government pays 95% of the apprenticeship cost and you pay the remaining 5%. For the Data Analyst standard this means the maximum you will be asked to pay is £750 per apprentice towards the cost of their training.

The biggest cost to hiring an apprentice is their salary. Although minimum wage for apprentices is £4.15 per hour, we’d recommend a salary of £15,000 to £22,000 per annum for a Data Analyst to attract the right people to your role.

You can also take advantage of a £1,000 incentive payment from the government if your apprentice is aged 16-18 or 19-24 with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

On top of this, the government has introduced Covid response incentives, valid for starts until 31st January 2021. This entitles you to an additional £2,000 when you employ an apprentice aged 16-24 or £1,500 if the apprentice is over 25.

Get In Touch

What employers say.

Are you Digital Native?

Get In Touch

Digital and Technology Solutions L6

This content is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:



Software Tester L4

Grow your team with a driven software tester

Are you looking to add capacity to your QA, test and dev teams with a Software Tester apprentice? Our experience shows that testing is an excellent place for junior talent to start their tech career and allows apprentices to add real value at a very early stage in their apprenticeship.

By hiring an apprentice, you’re shaping the next generation of digital talent to solve your specific business needs and encourage a culture of learning and development within your organisation.

Our passion is helping you nurture digital talent. We want to help junior software testers build the careers they desire and find a sense of belonging through their apprenticeship. So however big their ambitions are, they’ll always remember where they started.

Request more information.

What will my apprentice learn?


Our coaches will work with you to develop competent, professional software testers by coaching them through the ISTQB foundation level, including topics such as:

  • Fundamentals and principles of testing
  • General testing principles
  • Software development lifecycle
  • Project methodologies
  • Types of testing
  • Static testing
  • Test design
  • Test management
  • Test automation and tools

Get In Touch

How does it work?


Are you looking to hire a new team member or do you have someone in mind? If you’ve already got someone on board, you may want to skip to the next section. Otherwise, keep reading.

Step 1: We work with you to recruit an apprentice. We’ll advertise your vacancy, conduct the initial screening and telephone interviews and set work-related challenges at no extra cost, before passing promising candidates to you for interview. Candidates range from school and college leavers to graduates to those with some work experience under their belt.

Step 2: You interview a selection of candidates and make the hiring decision. The apprentice is employed by you and works within your business. They spend 20% of their time (approx. 1 day per week) on off-the-job training, working towards their Level 4 qualification.

Step 3: Over 18 months, we coach your apprentice through their exams and coursework and help them apply their new knowledge and skills in the workplace. This coaching can be delivered at one of our training venues, online or at your premises.

Step 4: As your apprentice develops their skills, they start adding huge value to your team and bring a fresh perspective to business challenges.

Step 5: Your apprentice undertakes End Point Assessment and successfully completes their apprenticeship.

How much does it cost?


If your business has an annual payroll bill of more than £3m you will already be paying the apprenticeship levy. This money can be used to fund apprenticeship training and any money not spent reverts to the government.

Once your levy fund has been spent, or if you have a PAYE bill of less than £3m, the government pays 95% of the apprenticeship cost and you pay the remaining 5%. For the Software Tester standard this means the maximum you will be asked to pay is £900 per apprentice towards the cost of their training.

The biggest cost to hiring an apprentice is their salary. Although minimum wage for apprentices is £4.15 per hour, we’d recommend a salary of £12,000 to £18,000 per annum for a Software Tester to attract the right people to your role.

You can also take advantage of a £1,000 incentive payment from the government if your apprentice is aged 16-18 or 19-24 with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

On top of this, the government has introduced Covid response incentives, valid for starts until 31st January 2021. This entitles you to an additional £2,000 when you employ an apprentice aged 16-24 or £1,500 if the apprentice is over 25.

Get In Touch

What employers say.

Are you Digital Native?

Get In Touch

Software Developer L4

Grow your team with an aspiring software developer

Are you on the hunt for junior talent to build capacity in your software development team? Our coaches will work with you to turn bedroom hackers with a passion for code into junior developers working at every stage of the software delivery lifecycle. We’ll help you identify entry points to your team and map your apprentice’s progression as their skills develop.

Our passion is helping you nurture digital talent. We want to help junior developers build the careers they desire and find a sense of belonging through their apprenticeship. However big their ambitions are, they’ll always remember where they started.

Request more information.

What will my apprentice learn?


Your apprentice will gain industry recognised qualifications and we’ll coach them through topics including:

  • The software development lifecycle
  • Software development methodologies – Waterfall and Agile
  • Project management methodologies and tools
  • Requirements gathering
  • Testing
  • Industry standards and requirements for good code
  • Coding languages relevant to their role – C#, Java, HTML, CSS, Javascript, C++

Get In Touch

How does it work?


Are you looking to hire a new team member or do you have someone in mind? If you’ve already got someone on board, you may want to skip to the next section. Otherwise, keep reading.

Step 1: We work with you to recruit an apprentice. We’ll advertise your vacancy, conduct the initial screening and telephone interviews and set work-related challenges at no extra cost, before passing promising candidates to you for interview. Candidates range from school and college leavers to graduates to those with some work experience under their belt.

Step 2: You interview a selection of candidates and make the hiring decision. The apprentice is employed by you and works within your business. They spend 20% of their time (approx. 1 day per week) on off-the-job training, working towards their Level 4 qualification.

Step 3: Over 18 months, we coach your apprentice through their exams and coursework and help them apply their new knowledge and skills in the workplace. This coaching can be delivered at one of our training venues, online or at your premises.

Step 4: As your apprentice develops their skills, they start adding huge value to your team and bring a fresh perspective to business challenges.

Step 5: Your apprentice undertakes End Point Assessment and successfully completes their apprenticeship.

How much does it cost?


If your business has an annual payroll bill of more than £3m you will already be paying the apprenticeship levy. This money can be used to fund apprenticeship training and any money not spent reverts to the government.

Once your levy fund has been spent, or if you have a PAYE bill of less than £3m, the government pays 95% of the apprenticeship cost and you pay the remaining 5%. For the Software Developer standard this means the maximum you will be asked to pay is £900 per apprentice towards the cost of their training.

The biggest cost to hiring an apprentice is their salary. Although minimum wage for apprentices is £4.15 per hour, we’d recommend a salary of £15,000 to £22,000 per annum for a Software Developer to attract the right people to your role.

You can also take advantage of a £1,000 incentive payment from the government if your apprentice is aged 16-18 or 19-24 with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

On top of this, the government has introduced Covid response incentives, valid for starts until 31st January 2021. This entitles you to an additional £2,000 when you employ an apprentice aged 16-24 or £1,500 if the apprentice is over 25.

Get In Touch

What employers say.

Are you Digital Native?

Get In Touch